Accessing Benefits on Retirement due to Medical Reasons
An RSA holder who is retired on medical ground i.e. due to total or permanent disability either of mind or body will qualify to access full retirement benefits not considering his/her age and so can opt for any or a combination of the following benefit options as allowed under the Act or in line with the Regulations for the Administration of Retirement and Terminal Benefits:
- En-bloc Payment - where RSA balance is less than N550,000.
- A lump sum of the amount standing to the credit in his / her RSA provided that the amount left after the withdrawal is sufficient to procure an annuity or programmed withdrawal that will produce an amount that should not be less than 50 percent of his/her annual remuneration as at the date of retirement.
- Programmed Withdrawal - a series of regular payment (monthly or quarterly) based on retiree's expected life span (otherwise known as guaranteed pension period).
- Annuity purchased from a licensed Life Insurance Company.
Requirements for Accessing Benefits on Retirement for Medical Reasons
- Certified true copyÃ‚Â of a medical certificate issued by a properly constituted Medical Board or a suitably qualified physician;
- Letter of notification of retirement issued by the employer also authenticating the medical certificate
- Last pay-slip not less than three (3) months after retirement (stamped and signed by the employer) or any evidence of last annual remuneration.
- Certified true copy of the retirement bond certificate (Public Sector Retiree).
- Evidence of any accrued pension entitlementsÃ‚Â not remitted into the RSA (Private Sector/Self Funding MDA retirees)
- Confirmation of any contribution owed by the employer (Private Sector/Self Funding MDA retirees)
- A duly completed ARM Retirement Withdrawal Form
- Two passport photographs
- Completed Programmed Withdrawal Agreement and Retiree Indemnity Form (deposed to before a Commissioner for Oaths or a Notary Public)
- Photocopy of any form of identification (i.e. Driver's license, National ID etc.).